Sunday, March 21, 2021

Snappy Lives!

You might remember the Common Snapping Turtle that spent some time in our fish pond last summer and fall. We had planned to remove it from the pond before it settled in for winter, but it has seemed that it had  moved out on its own.

It had not.


Patty and I were doing work around the fish pond, post winter maintenance to get it up and running. And I remarked how clear the water was. And that "I don't even see a snapping turtle." And just as I said that I spotted the critter, hugging a rock.


Here is a shot form the day before, showing how clear the water was. And if you look in the lower left corner, looking like a rock, I think it's Snappy.


At Patty's urging I grabbed a net and scooped up Snappy. It was so easy that at first I thought it was dead. But then it started moving, albeit slowly. The 45° F water temperature the cause of its lethargy, no doubt.


A few minutes in the sun and it was on the move, a few short steps to our back back pond, which I may start calling "Turtle Pond" (although with the racket the frogs are making "Frog Pond" may be more appropriate. 

No comments: