Monday, July 27, 2020

A Visitor to the Fish Pond

One of the nice things about working form home is there's no rush to get to work. Rush hour is relax hour. So I can enjoy my morning cup of coffee, knowing it's a short walk to the 'office'.

And this morning I enjoyed that coffee on the deck, and I spotted something different in the fish pond.

A turtle.


A Common Snapping Turtle.

I wonder how long it's been living there. Hiding among the reeds and in the depths.


It was rather wary of us, even up on the deck. Diving for cover whenever we moved.


It is now early evening, and Snappy Is still in the same place I spotted it this morning. Hiding in the reeds in front of the filter pump box.

This pond is lined by large rocks, as this image from last November shows, nicely without the summer vegetation. Snappy hangs out at the lower lefthand corner.


Not many avenues for a turtle to climb out. Or in for that matter. Concerned it had got itself trapped, I put a board in allowing easy egress. We'll see if it sticks around or if it is looking to leave.

Either way, a cool visitor.

No comments: