Monday, March 1, 2021

Airstrike

The last day of February was a dreary rainy day. We had just finished a zoom call with friends, where we were unsuccessful at solving a (fictional) murder (much more fun, with better food, in person - damn pandemic), Walking through the dining room I spotted a hawk swooping through the yard.

And it had something in its talons (my first thought was a Common Grackle).

The game was afoot! (Literally?)

A Red-shouldered Hawk with prey.


It landed high up on a branch, one level deep into the woods (on the owl box tree).

But try as I might I could not determine what it was dining on. I had a relatively clear view, yet I saw no fur nor feathers.


This image offers the best clue, what appears to be a bird foot sticking up between the hawk's beak and talons. Looking through binoculars I saw a similar 'bird foot' hanging down at one point.

After it flew I visited the scene, and while I found whitewash (a fancy name for bird poop) I saw no fallen remains. Searching the yard revealed no other clues. No feathers nor blood stains.

Nada. That makes me 0 for 2 on death puzzles today.

No comments: