Sunday, March 28, 2021

Wood Frogs

We have multiple species of frogs that breed in our yard.

Including this one, the Wood Frog*.


I took this picture on March 11th. And already the mosquitos are out. I've since tossed a mosquito dunk in the pond. I hope it works.

There was a lot of calling going on, click to listen.


Which n turn led to  a lot of this going on.

There were quite a few of these frogs in and around the pond. But this one caught my eye (pun!).


It could use and eye it could catch. Look closely at this one. It has but one eye. Interesting that it has survived this long. I would think that stereo vision would be important for catching insects. To say nothing of spotting predators on both sides.

🐸  🐸  🐸  🐸  🐸

* Thanks for Bob Ferguson for the frog ID. I was rather confused on this one. These are not showing the  'mask' typical of a Wood Frog, but the call was that of this species. Bob explained these frogs can change color based on conditions. Pretty cool.

No comments: