Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Back Woods Wandering

Earlier this month in the If You Build It They Will Come post, I noted that we had placed a couple of bird boxen out in the Back Woods. While out there I noticed another 'trail'. Although unlike the first, this one did not have blazes painted on the trees. I made a note to go exploring.

One day, while dong some work on our back pond, which is not in the back woods, I heard a large flock of blackbirds in those back woods. I headed out to see what the fuss was about. And since I was already exploring ...


Civil engineers I think not. But it got me across the wet bits.


This is the second abandoned hunting blind I found out there. While these aren't all that expensive, it is a bit of work to get it out there. Curious that they are just left to be slowly reclaimed by the forest.

There were a couple deer stands and trail cams as well. I made sure to smile and wave.


I don't think this is a blind further along the reclamation path. But I didn't find any sign of recent wildlife use either.

Other than a couple of roosting Wild Turkeys and one Golden-crowned Kinglet, there was little wildlife to be be found at all. 


There was this. A bird, large. But that is the best I can do as far as an ID is concerned.

🌲  ðŸŒ²  ðŸŒ³  ðŸŒ³  ðŸŒ²  ðŸŒ²

This is the satellite view off the woods:


The blue dot being our place. North is up. And I thought I was walking in a mostly northerly direction out there.

I was incorrect.

After a while I could see a building through the trees. I was quite confused. There are no builds where I thought I was. Eventually it dawned on me. I was behind my neighbor to the left's place. I had traveled in a big arc. 

Further confusing me was that I was again at the creek edge. My internal compass was really out of whack. Fortunately, the creek there was quite shallow and I had my Muck Boots on, so I was able to cross without incident. I did notice the remains of some engineering work not unlike that in the first image above, well past the usable stage however.

Next time I venture out there I'm taking a compass.

No comments: