Friday, March 26, 2021

More New Turtles

There were two hatchling Eastern Painted Turtles in the nest cage today.




Tiny Turtle 2.


Tiny Turtle 3.

That brings the known turtle population the back pond to six, two adult and three hatchling Eastern Painted Turtles and one Common Snapping Turtle. It's getting crowded.


I am amazed at how small they are, yet they look like adult turtles. Just miniaturized. Very cool.


This is Turtle 2 making its way into the pond.



I had been checking the next on a regular basis, hoping that there were eggs under there. And it was the hole just off center to the left that clued me in that something had happened, as that hole was not there on Wednesday. If you look closely you can see what appear to be egg shell fragments inside.

As I noted in yesterday's post, they can lay up to six eggs. So I'll be checking for the next several days.

And if any more show up I'll let you know.

No comments: