Tuesday, September 3, 2019

X

While relaxing on the deck I glanced up and saw this. A big "X" in the sky.


And I started thinking about how such an "X" would come to be.* I reasoned that the wind couldn't be blowing in two directions at the same time. But neither arm appeared to be an obvious contrail.

Of course they could both be contrails, old trails which had diffused and thinned. Given we live under the east coast (US) flight path and near and military airfield (two actually) at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, contrails are quite likely.


In this zoomed in image one can see that the arm that goes from the lower left to upper right is the thickest of a similar set of cloud bands. This would seem to indicate that it is the natural cloud, while the other arm is the remnant of a contrail. Of course, the other bands could just be older contrails.

☁️  ☁️  ☁️  ☁️  ☁️

* Yeah, I know. You're thinking, "dude has way too much free time, he needs to get a job!". I would not disagree (but I so prefer not working).

No comments: