Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Hickory Horned Devil Enclosure

I mentioned in this post about the enclosure I made for the Hickory Horned Devil Caterpillars.


I started with a five gallon bucket. It already had some holes in the bottom. I drilled some more there and a few several inches up the side. Our concern was that as we live in a rather wet area, a bucket could fill with water and drown the critters (they dig themselves in to pupate over the winter).


I then dug a hole for the bucket.


Once secure in the hole I filled the bottom with rocks to further help with drainage.


And then I put the dirt back in.


To prevent the devils from wandering off and other critters from treating them as a tasty snack I used some netting we had from another project, along with some scrap wood to finish the enclosure.


Stapled on three sides and open, to replenish the food each day, on one. With the bottom edge sealed with dirt, rocks and logs. Hopefully this will provide a safe home through fall and winter in to spring.

🐛  😈  🐛  😈  🐛


This is their prior home, a small plastic aquarium, which you can see was getting a bit cramped. And those brown pellets are the frass.


The new digs [pun?] have much more space. Here's hoping they find it to their liking.

No comments: