Sunday, September 15, 2019

Yard Critter - Yellow-striped Armyworm

Spodoptera ornithogalli.

Sometimes the caterpillars come to you!


As I was getting up from my desk one night this week I glanced done at the floor and saw this critter looking back up at me (I don't actually know where it was looking).


It is the little inverted "V" on its head that is diagnostic.


And I had spotted this one the morning before, on the deck as I went out to feed the fish.

It doesn't get any easier than this.

🐛  🐛  🐛 🐛  🐛

There is a group on Facebook dedicated to caterpillar identification. And I try to ID what I can. And I correctly linked to a BugGuide entry for this caterpillar, the night prior to finding the cat on the deck. But I got the name wrong. I guess that's better than giving giving the right name but linking to the wrong cat. 

Right?

🐛  🐛  🐛 🐛  🐛

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

No comments: