Sunday, September 8, 2019

Still Walking ...

I'm still walking about our neighborhood, mixing it up by wandering down different roads.


Just down the street is this tree. I believe the broken sign once read, "South Branch Preserve Private", referring no doubt to the south branch of the Rancocas creek, which passes though the area. The bottom sign notes that it is a "Forest Management Area". And the top sign reads, "NJ State Poacher Prosecution Target Zone", of which I seen two such in the area.  I've not been able to locate info on any of these. Curious.


The 'South Branch Preserve' as seen from the street.


For these I was able to find more info. They are for the Tour des Farms, which doesn't quite go past our place, turning off just a little ways prior.


The aforementioned South Branch.


And one of the farms on the tour.


Seems the farm house could use some work.


And this hasn't rolled in a quite a while.


Along the way I came upon two very sluggish young Bullfrogs and an equally sluggish American Toad.


When I encouraged them to move off the road they did not move. I was able to reach down and pick them up. It wasn't until I put them down in the grass on the side of the road that they sprang to life and hopped off. Very curious.


My walk paralleled and crossed the Rancocas Creek and several side streams. It would be fun to explore further but alas the land is private, with many a 'No Trespassing' sign.


Although perhaps exploration is not such a good idea?


I did come upon the leucistic Turkey, which seemed interested in me as well. Perhaps a domestic bird?


Make that birds.


A bird of a different type, a C-17. It was doing laps as I was waking.


And in honor of Caterpillar Week, I'll end with this fellow walker, a Luna Moth Caterpillar in its final install before finding a safe place to create its cocoon. I tried to get it off the road but it kept coming back. I hope it found a good spot to pupate.

No comments: