Friday, September 27, 2019

Yard Critter - Yellow-haired Dagger Moth Caterpillar

Acronicta impleta.


I spotted this one Friday morning as I was walking about the yard. Another day, another new caterpillar. Amazing. How long can it continue?


The individual I saw doesn't look anything like the picture in my field guide*, a scan of which is shown below.

Image courtesy David L. Wagner, used without permission

Fortunately there are online groups for caterpillar identification, otherwise this would have gone into the "caterpillar sp." collection of images on my hard drive.

🐛  🐛  🐛 🐛  🐛

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

~~~~~~~~~~~
* Caterpillars of Eastern North America, by David L. Wagner. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely images. The author of Caterpillars of Eastern North America is David L. Wagner (rather than Wager).

MevetS said...

That is correct! Fixed!

Thank you.