Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Yard Critter - Banded Tussock Moth Caterpillar

Halysidota tessellaris.


I spotted this critter while planting some spring ephemeral bulbs Patty had ordered (now that we have the deer fence our plan is to fill out the empty spaces in the yard with native flowers - which will in turn mean more yard critters!).

The moths are common at our mothing sheet.


Yet this is the only image in my photo library.


I don't know what plant the caterpillar was on, as all the leaves where gone.


Here is a worn individual on worn oak. At least I think it is the same species. But I'm not entirely sure. I'm glad I found a more canonical example to confirm its presence in the yard. And I keep finding new cats out there almost every day. Very encouraging.

🐛  🐛  🐛 🐛  🐛

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

No comments: