Sunday, August 30, 2020

Ol' Blue Eyes

You might recall the story of the experimental plot on our septic mound, if not, click and read the Reinforcements and the And So It Begins ... posts. In the former you'll see the white boards I used to border the plot, shown again below.


The boards a little worse for wear.

And today, while I was mowing the lawn (look closely and you'll see what's left to do), I, as I always do, went to move the boards, better to mow around the plot, starting with the front left board.

Under which I discovered this:


An Eastern Garter Snake. Look at the eyes.


They're blue (so are mine). This means two things. One, the snake is getting ready to shed its skin. And two, it can't see all that well. I don't think it knew I was there. I didn't react at all to me removing the board, nor as I got close to take these pictures. Only a few before I put the board back and let it be.

We garden for wildlife. We put in the water features, the feeders, the houses, to this end. Who would have thought it was some temporary boards that would be a hiding place for a snake while waiting to molt?

No comments: