Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Bird's Nest Fungi

The other day I was aimlessly wandering about the yard when I came upon these tiny fungi on the path in our Feeder Garden. I wasn't sure but I had a suspicion as to what they were.


Alas, my mushroom guides to not have any images of them at this stage.


But my suspicion proved correct, they are Bird's Nest Fungi. Specifically Fluted Bird's Nest Fungi, Cyathus striatus.


I don't know what the little white tubular things, just left of center in the above image, are though. Should you know please tell me.


And to put things in perspective, the bird's nests are small, smaller than a dime. That's a Sweetgum ball at the bottom of the image (so those white tubular things are really tiny).


The "eggs" are actually peridioles, spore cases. As the fungi matures the "lid" or epiphragm stretches and tears, exposing the eggs, which are ejected by rain drops.

🍄  🍄  🍄  🍄  🍄

This is the second species of Bird's Nest Fungi I've found in the yard, with the first described in a previous post, the cleverly titled, "Bird's Nest Fungi". I think that one is White Bird's Nest Fungi, Crucibulum laeve.

There are a few other species that occur in our area. So I'll keep wandering around looking.

No comments: