Sunday, November 3, 2019

More Caterpillars

I mentioned that I've a significant backlog of images to get to, which includes a bunch of caterpillar images from earlier this year. I've also mentioned that I've been walking most mornings. And this post combines both, walking and caterpillars.

🚶‍♂️  🐛  🚶‍♂️  🐛  🚶‍♂️


A Banded Tussock Moth Caterpillar. The moths are very common in the yard, coming to our sheet when we set up the moth light.


A very common cat this year, the Turbulent Phosphila. These were my walking companions on many a stroll.


These next two may be the same species, Yellow Bear, which is highly variable in appearance. And not always yellow.


Now, the top one also looks a bit like the Salt Marsh Caterpillar, but as we do not live near a salt marsh I went with the Yellow Bear. Of course I could be wrong about both. Feel free to provide your ID in the comments.


A Scalloped Sack-Bearer, one I've not found in the yard. Yet. I'll be looking, although it will probably be next fall before I find one, as caterpillar season is pretty much over for this year.


A Luna Moth Caterpillar. The moths are spectacular and we had a large number of them in the yard this year, so no surprise to find the caterpillars as well.


A Red-humped Caterpillar, also a common critter in our yard.

🐛  🐛  🐛  🐛  🐛

I'm not sure why so many caterpillars wander out onto the road. Perhaps because it is warm? But they are exposed to predators. And cars, although I don't see many squished cats on my walks, unlike with frogs and snakes (sadly). That said, I enjoyed seeing them as it broke up the monotony of walking the same route everyday.

No comments: