Friday, November 1, 2019

Green Glow

Every Saturday in September there was an outdoor concert at Whitesbog. And Patty and I went on September 7th to enjoy the music, friends, food and drink.

We arrived a Whitesbog early to drive around the bogs and do a bit of birding. And on the way back to the village we saw this.


A green glow in the bog. Actually multiple patches of green.


With only my phone to use as a camera I snapped a few shots before we headed off to the main event.


But I had decided to go back, with a 'real' camera, to both investigate this phenomena and get more pictures.


I went the very next night, arriving about a half hour earlier. And the green was there, but much subtler. So I waited.


And as the sun set the green did become more intense.


And while I was there I wasn't just enjoying the light show. I was thinking about what might be going on. My first thoughts were that this was a large Quételet Scattering display.


But if that were the case, I should have been able, by changing position relative to the sun and water, get the color to change. But I was not. I moved over 100 meters, going north-south and east-west along the road, seeing only green. I moved up and down, albeit not as far, by climbing on my car. Again just green.


But as you can see here, the color did change as the sun contained to set. I shared the images with folks who know about these things, but no one can say definitively what caused the glow. For now it remains a mystery.

🎼  🎻  🎼  🎻  🎼


As for the concert, the Raising River Band put on an excellent show. A very nice evening under the stars.

No comments: