Sunday, November 24, 2019

Merlin

We woke up way too early for a Saturday. And proceeded to layer up as it was 25 °F outside, a bit chilly. Loaded up the car with optics and headed off to Barnegat Lighthouse State Park.

Seems we got there a bit early. Several months early. If you clicked on the link above (or here) you may have noticed that all of the previous posts tagged "Barnegat" are dated in March. Which may explain the dearth of waterfowl and shorebirds. Other than a few bad pictures of distant ducks (which have already been consigned to the bit bucket) there was nothing, nada, zippo, there today.


In fact, if it wasn't for this Merlin, spotted by Patty who was frantically trying to alert me to the bird, I'd have no good bird pictures from the day.


The bird let me get rather close, not concerned with my approach at all.


Well, I was using a 600 lens. So I guess close is a relative term. But the bird went about its business, stretching and preening with me shooting away.

Turning disappointment into success.

No comments: