Monday, November 11, 2019

House Critter of the Week

Fork-tailed Bush Katydid, Scudderia furcata.

This critter had found its way into the house somehow, no doubt to beat the cold. It's been in the 20's °F the past couple of nights. A wee bit chilly.


I was sitting at my desk and upon looking up from my computer I saw this:


"What is that?", I wondered, and proceeded to investigate.


So with step stool and camera I got up close and personal.


I knew it was a katydid but which one?

When we moved here I knew that katydids existed. What I didn't know was that there was more than one species. My field guides list nineteen and ten species respectively. Who knew? But I'm getting better at this bug ID stuff and was quickly able to zero in on the Fork-tailed Bush Katydid.


And that's my final answer (hope I got it right).

🦗  🦗  🦗  🦗  🦗

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here, including two other katydid species, the True Katydid and the Oblong-winged Katydid.

No comments: