Monday, November 4, 2019

Leaf Footed Bugs

If you've been paying attention (and reading the blog on a regular basis) you've no doubt noticed that there have been quite a few bug posts over the past few months.* Looking at the Yard Critters index shows 76 insects have made the list (and this doesn't count non-insect bugs like spiders and pseudoscorpions).

It is not easy identifying bugs and although I'm getting better at it. But I still rely on a number of bug geek friends that I bother with emails soliciting ID's on an all too frequent basis.

Our Growing Collection of Bug Books

That, along with a growing collection of field guides and online resources like BugGuide. Yet many critters still go unidentified. But slowly and surely I seem to be getting better at it (it sure helps to have copious free time).


🐞  🐜  🦟  🦗  🕷  🦂  🦋  🐛  🐝

And it seems that I've achieved 'bug geek' status. At least among some of my friends.

My friend Lori spotted this critter at work and sent me the picture, along with a question, "Cool bug at work [in Philadelphia]. About an inch in length. Any idea what it is?"

Image courtesy Lori Street
I had an idea, but it was wrong.  "Looks like an assassin bug", I replied, incorrectly as it turns out (perhaps I'm just an apprentice bug geek). After consulting my (non-human) resources I wrote back, "... after further review, it appears that it is a leaf footed bug, probably Leptoglossus oppositus."

🐞  🐜  🦟  🦗  🕷  🦂  🦋  🐛  🐝

And the very next day I spotted this individual on our deck.


As Lori said, "They get around."

And a bit later, still on the deck, I found this one.


A Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus occidentalis. Same genus different species.


Two for two in Leaf Footed Bug IDs ("assassin bug" was not my final answer!). Well on my way to bug geekdom for sure.


🐞  🐜  🦟  🦗  🕷  🦂  🦋  🐛  🐝

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.


🐞  🐜  🦟  🦗  🕷  🦂  🦋  🐛  🐝

* Although, thanks to Google, if you are an email subscriber you may not have received all of the posts. Every once and a while Google has an issue with the email update system. And that seems to be occurring yet again. If you are a bug aficionado then please go to the blog on the web and enjoy the back posts. And if you aren't, why not?

No comments: