Monday, April 19, 2021

It's Turtles all the Way Down

When we moved here to Piney Place there was an Eastern Painted Turtle which lived in our back pond, the one we call Hamster. And then last year there was A New Turtle in Town. And then earlier this year there were even Newer Turtles (and these baby turtles are small, about the size of a quarter).

And this past Sunday I was out by the back pond and I saw some turtles.


Often it is only the turtle head just breaking the surface of the water. And while sitting out at the back pond I spotted not one, not two, but three Eastern Painted Turtles poking above the surface. Each the size of Hamster. 


 Here is a close up, a bit easier to spot all three.


I think this is Hamster, as it has no issues with people being around. 



Above are the other two, each about the size of the lily pad leaves. And both a bit more timid.


And then, at the far edge of the pond, I spotted Snappy poking its head out. Nice to see it was still there.

So if the three baby turtles are still in there somewhere, that is a total of seven turtles. 

I wonder what the carrying capacity of the pond is?

No comments: