Thursday, April 29, 2021

The Perils of Pond Maintenance

We have two ponds on our property, both installed by the prior owners. And both requiring ongoing maintenance.

One, our Fish Pond, is a clearly engineered affair, complete with a waterfall, the pump to keep it going, and filters to keep it clean. This one requires regular monthly, and sometimes more frequent,  filter cleanings, 


And yesterday when I went to clean the filters, I found this critter hanging out in the filter box. A Northerner Water Snake, no doubt dining on the resident fish.

Usually, these snakes are rather ornery, but I've found the ones in our ponds to be on the mild mannered side. And this one simply retreated to the bottom of the filter box as I removed and reinstalled the filter media.

Our Back Pond is a more natural looking pond. Just a hole in the ground with a liner. There is a bit of engineering in that the rain water from our garage is routed underground to the pond, making it in effect a large rain barrel.



After finishing with the Fish Pond I went to check on the Back Pond, and found this critter waiting. I guess we'll be enjoying each other's company the next time I work on this pond.

No comments: