Sunday, April 25, 2021

Solar Halos?

This past Saturday while sitting on the deck taking a break from yard work, (installing a deer fence around the other half plus of our yard), I looked up (I know, right?). And I saw a ring around the sun. So I took some pictures. As I didn't think it was all that spectacular a display, I used my iPhone, and didn't bother to go get a 'real' camera. Too lazy and too dirty to go inside.


The bright outer ring is the plain old 22° Halo, seen on this blog on multiple occasions.


It is the ring closer to the Sun that has me wishing I had gone and gotten my 'real' camera. It is a 9° Halo? Is it an artifact of the iPhone optical system?


The display lasted for quite a while. I took this image more than two and a half hours after the first (I did some yard work in-between, I'm not that lazy!). And while the 22° Halo is still quite prominent, the inner ring is barely there if it is at all (there are camera artifacts though). This actually makes me more confident the 9° Halo is real.

Next time I'm gonna get up off my lazy *** and get a camera more suited to this subject.

Until then, keep looking up!

No comments: