Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Tiny Fungi

As you might have grokked from the Egg post, or from the Egg post, I notice things.*

Like tiny little fungus.


Eyelash Cup Fungi. If you look closely (bigafy!) you'll see the "eyelash" hairs around the edge of the mushroom cup. 

There is a similar species, the False Eyelash Cup, but it it is found on the ground, while the 'real' Eyelash Cup is found on rotting wood. 


I have several Fungi field guides. My most recent acquisition is the new Peterson Field Guide to Mushrooms, by McKnight, Rohrer, McKnight Ward, and McKnight. And all the guides note the edibility of the species listed. And for this species the edibility note is "Too small to be of interest."


And I concur. Very small, but the color gives it away.


Also small, and on the same rotting log, was this Trumpet Lichen. 

Mushrooms and fungi are difficult to identify. Lichens are even harder (to me anyway, your milage may vary).

πŸ„  πŸ₯š  πŸ„  πŸ₯š  πŸ„

* Patty clued me into these eggs, showing me the first on a walk. So I was prepared to look for them on subsequent saunters.

No comments: