Sunday, April 25, 2021

Baby Snake

While clearing the path for the additional deer fence I came upon a pile of roofing shingles, that had been there for quite some time. After finishing the fence path, I took my yard cart out to collect the shingles.

It took two trips, each with the card overfilled, One that saw the cart tip over, requiring it to be emptied and reloaded. Grrr ...

And as I was filling the cart for the initial trip I came upon this little snake.


A very docile Eastern Garter Snake. I was able to pick it up without any struggle on its part. So docile I was wondering if it was alive. It was, eventually opening its mouth in a threatening manner.

I was not scared.


My knife is about four inches long. This is a small snake.



I gently placed on a moss covered mound, and it continued to 'play dead'.

And it was still there when I returned for the second load of shingles. Perhaps it just needed to warm up, and eventually it made its way into the leaf litter. And I took the second and final load of shingles to the parking area. Where they joined the effort to combat the invading weeds.

No comments: