Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Kitchen Optics

Les Cowley, the host of the Atmospheric Optics website, uses the term "Kitchen Optics" for everyday optical phenomena all around us.


And a couple of days ago I experienced some literal Kitchen Optics, as evidenced by these images of my kitchen sink.


As I was starting up the coffee maker that morning, I noticed the colors in the sink. The water in the wine glass was acting as a prism, or in this case multiple prisms, resulting in the colors in the sink. Or at least that is what I think is happening.


Les and I are kindred spirits, in that we find these phenomena fascinating. I suspect most people wouldn't even notice, or give them a second glance. I know that at least some readers have become interested as well. And that is cool. And if you haven't, that's ok too. Hopefully you'll enjoy the next post. :-)

I've sent these to Les, and I hope he enjoys them as well. And that they cheer him up. You see, when I sent him my Halo images from last month, to see if it really was a 9° Halo, I received an email stating that Les was recovering from major surgery. Not a response I was expecting nor wanted.

Get well soon Les, get well soon.

No comments: