Sunday, May 9, 2021

It's for the Birds

I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I would be tacking part in the World Series of Birding.

And I did. My, and Patty's, team, the Uncommon Nighthawks, took second place in the Ambassador division, with 224 species seen or heard. Patty and I combined for 92 species, mostly in our local patch. Last year this same team had 148 species, although it is not an apples to apples comparison, as the rules changed again this year.

Mourning Dove, just one of the species we saw this year.

The first place team had 292 species. But they had folks all up and down the Atlantic Flyway. We just had team members in Florida and New Jersey. 

We did pretty damn good if you ask me. And even if you don't.

The point of the event is three fold.

One, for the participants to have fun.

Two, to bring attention to the pastime of birding.

And three, to raise money. Each team is raising money for an environmental, usually birding, cause.

Our team, the core of which is composed of NJ Audubon's Grassland Bird Survey Citizen Scientists, raises money for the NJ Audubon's Citizen Science program.

And here is a link, should you wish to donate to our team's cause:

Uncommon Nighthawks.

I, the team, and the birds thank you.

No comments: