Saturday, May 2, 2020

Northern Gray Umbrella Frog

As we are still in the "shelter at home" regime so as to flatten the curve, I found myself on the deck by myself today. At least I thought I was by myself.


We have a deck umbrella, and when I opened it it seems I disturbed this Northern Gray Tree Frog, which was apparently sheltering there.


The umbrella is orange, thus the curious hue of the frog and the quarter (bonus points if you can ID the bird).

It turns out that a Northern Gray Tree Frog is not a great drinking buddy, and just keeps saying the same thing over and over, if it decides to talk at all. This one did not.


So I picked it up and placed it in the garden. It didn't like being cupped in my hands, squirming about as frogs are want to do. But once I opened them up it was quite content to just sit on my hand. I had to push it off onto the log.

I went back to my chair and not too long afterward I was treated to the raspy call of the Northern Gray Tree Frog. Joining the amphibian chorus along with Northern Spring Peepers and Fowler's Toads. Part of the wonderful sounds of spring in these here parts.

No comments: