Tuesday, May 5, 2020

More Yard Birding

As I was putting the camera card back in the camera, having downloaded the Wood Thrush images to my computer, I spotted this fellow out my dining room window.


A male Rose-breasted Grosbeak. Another bird that shows up about this time every year. But unlike the Wood Thrush, this one is just passing through. On its way to places further north. But not too far, as North Jersey is the southern edge of their breeding range.

What I hadn't noticed was the second bird on the feeder.


I thought the bird in the first image was looking up, but it was (also?) looking down, at the other male Grosbeak. We would later spot a third bird in our back woods. Or rather Patty and I spied three Grosbeaks in one tree as we went for a walk after dinner (yummy pork chops).

Were there actually five birds here?


We've had as many as six males in the yard at one time. So, maybe.

And then, a few days later, they're gone. Bye bye. See you next year!

🐦  🐦  🐦  🐦  🐦

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

No comments: