Sunday, May 12, 2019

Yard Critter of the Week - Eastern Garter Snake

Eastern Garter Snake

I had spooked the snake on Monday, a flash in the corner of my eye as it 'ran' for cover. "Garter Snake" I thought based on that quick look.

Then on Tuesday morning I spotted it again. And went to get the camera. But it had slithered away. Later that morning I once more spied the serpent. But even though I backed away slowly, and went the long way round to get the camera, it was gone when I got back.


It was Max that spotted it the fourth time, alerting me to its presence.


And the snake was surely aware of Max. Frozen in place yet alert and watching. And giving me plenty of time to get the camera and fire away.


Perhaps it didn't care. Or perhaps it was because it was frozen. But an ant was crawling all over its head. Even poking it its mouth. And the snake never flinched. It just remained fixed and unmoving.


It no doubt helped that it had recently eaten, as indicated by the bulge just where i disappears into the foliage.


See?
🐍  🐍  🐍

For those keeping score at home, that's three species of snake this month. One. Two. Three.

Very cool.

🐍  🐍  🐍

And in case you were wondering, the Eastern Garter Snake is the state reptile for Massachusetts and Virginia. Now you know.

🐍  🐍  🐍

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

No comments: