Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Weekend Wanderings ... Michael Huber Prairie Warbler Preserve

A combination DVOC and NJ Conservation Foundation trip, part of the iNaturalist City Nature Challenge, led by my friend Tony Croasdale ...

Our Fearless Leader, Leading

...  at a preserve just eleven minutes from my home was a no brainer outing for me.

We started down a sand road ...


... that led past Bull and Karen's place, which is surrounded by the Preserve (how cool is that!).

Bull and Karen, closest on the left

We saw a number of good birds, mostly warblers. Alas, I had only my pocket camera as the forecast was not promising (we did encounter a couple of brief showers), so no bird pictures. Sorry.


Not really a bird picture. But as close as I came this morning.


And it wasn't clear exactly which preserve we were in. "Mile Springs Reserve"? Even the co-leader of the trip, a chap from the NJ Conservation Foundation, wasn't sure what was going on here. And I didn't notice until writing up this post that the "Mile Spring Reserve" is closed December and January. What's up with that?


Surprisingly, this was my first visit to the Prairie Warbler Preserve. It won't be my last. There were plenty of birds. And the main trails are wide and easy to follow.


Here the group is watching multiple Ovenbirds singing and chasing each other about. Very cool to see. Especially since Ovenbirds are most often heard and not seen.

As this was part of the City Nature Challenge, we were looking at everything, not just birds.


Like this tree, which seemed to be starting over.


Or this. I have no idea what was going on here. And it wasn't eligible for the challenge, so no help from iNaturalist.

We wandered about the Preserve for about three hours. Time well spent. We then headed to a local diner for lunch, after which we visited the Franklin Parker Preserve.

No comments: