Saturday, May 25, 2019

Fencing

In this post I wrote about how we'd decided to install a deer fence, along with the prep work and the initial delivery of the fencing materials. As we had ordered from two different companies*, we still needed to wait for the remainder of the supplies. Which gave me time to finish the prep work of clearing the path.

And it turned out that even after the rest of the stuff arrived I had more time. I had ordered the wrong gauge monofilament. We needed 8 gauge and I ordered 12 gauge. Oops. And when I tried to attache the monofilament to the anchor tree it slid right through the gripple.


This is a Gripple. Actually, it is a Gripple Plus. Made by the Gripple Company. Which is in the business of making Gripples. Hence the name.


Once we received the correct size monofilament line I was able to use the gripples to anchor the line to the trees.

The standard method is to roll the fence out on the ground for the length needed and with your helpers lift it up and use zip ties to attach it to the line. Then you use U-nails to permanently attach it to the posts, in our case trees, and then use hog ring staples to attache the fence o the line.


I had no helpers. And thus had to improvise. Using the base for our deck umbrella, my hiking stick, and a pipe I found in the garage I stood up the roll of fence as shown above and like a roll of paper towels pulled it along the path.

Of course it got caught on roots and stumps and branches. But I was able to pull it the from one anchor tree to the next.


I first tried clothes pins in place of helpers to hold up the fence. But they were not up to the task.


So I switched to carabiners, of which I had a limited supply. But they did the trick. And unlike human helpers, didn't eat pizza or drink any beer. More for me!


And I proved to myself that I could, on my own, install the fence.

Image courtesy Patty Rehn

And I was able to do this even while dealing with the physical limitations of living with a ruptured disk in my back. Thats where my utility cart came into play, I used it to transport all of the tools and materials I needed. (Look closely at that image and you'll see we've used up all the fence on this roll, only the cardboard tubes are on the post next to the step ladder.)


I think it looks pretty good. By setting it behind the tree line of the yard it does not change how he yard looks (it's almost invisible). And it leaves an edge area of cover for birds and other critters.

I actually enjoyed doing this by myself. In addition to the sense of accomplishment it also took my mind off not only my troubles but the f*cked up situation in the world.

Alas, all too soon I'l be finished. And maybe then I'll even have a job.

🦌  ðŸš§  ðŸ¦Œ  ðŸš§  ðŸ¦Œ

* The two companies we used were:

The McGregor Fence Company

Kencove Farm Fence Supplies

If you want any specific info on how we did this email me and I'd be happy to get into the specifics. It really is this easy.

No comments: