Monday, August 26, 2019

Yard Critter - Common Tumblebug

Latin name, Canthon piluarius.


It's a dung beetle. Which you no doubt gleaned from the image.

If not, that's a ball of dung the two beetles are rolling. Click here to see it roll.


"Dung of what?"; "Where they started from?"; "Where were they going?"; are all excellent questions for which I have no good answers. Patty had spotted them out in our bench garden. She alerted me, and I used my pocket camera, the one closest at hand to get these images. And my iPhone for the video.


While photographing I frightened them, with one burrowing into the mulch and hiding. Thus only the other was left to roll to ball alone.

I went to off get my DSLR and macro lens, but when I returned they were nowhere to be found. This all happened back in June and we've not seen them since. But that's true of many of the insect critters we see in the yard. But now we know that they are here, and will be on the lookout.

🐞  🐞  🐞  🐞  🐞

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

No comments: