Sunday, August 25, 2019

Okefenokee

Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge is consists mainly of a large swamp, located in southern Georgia with just a tiny bit in northern Florida.


I went there looking for a bird. This bird:


The Red-cockaded Woodpecker. Obviously I found it. But it was not a sure thing.


Once found from New Jersey to Florida, today the species is endangered with a much more limited range. And I spent most of my time at the refuge looking but not finding. And it was only when I was leaving the refuge, resigned to the fact that I would not see the bird, that I spotted it. From my car as I was driving out. I quickly snapped the distant first picture, then getting closer to get a better, but still distant, image, and this with a 400 mm lens (I needed that super zoom!).

I left the refuge happy.

Earlier I had spotted another cool bird, one that can still be found as far north as Delaware, the Brown-headed Nuthatch.


I saw a variety of reptiles, including turtles (two species), lizards (two species?), and alligators. Lots of alligators.


These young, along with a dozen of their siblings, were just off the boardwalk. And were guarded by mom, a much larger beast. I saw adults, juveniles, and newborns (newhatched?) throughout the refuge.


These lizards, along with an all green variety, were common, sunning themselves on the boardwalk. I've not been able to identify them, I believe they are a type of anole, and several species are variable in color, with both green and brown morphs. Thus I may have only seen two color varieties of one species.

The coolest plant I saw was a carnivorous one.


The Hooded Pitcher Plant. Unfortunately I was not there at the peak of the growing season. But still cool to see.


Also cool was the misnamed 'Spanish Moss', which isn't either. The maple seeds give a nice touch of color.


There was also a historical site, the Chesser Island Homestead. Although not everything was so nicely labeled.


For instance, there was no sign to tell me that this is a fence. I was left to figure it out on my own. I guess the park service ran out of money.


The homestead was first settled in the 1850s and the last Chessers moved out in 1958. A hundred year run. Living on an island in a swamp. No wonder they look so happy.


I was only able to visit a small part of the refuge, most is accessible only by boat. There are more canoe trails than hiking trails. Another on the long list of places that merits a return visit.

🚣‍♀️  ðŸš¶‍♀️  ðŸ›¶  ðŸš¶‍♀️  ðŸš£‍♀️

Our friend Marie, last seen sitting under a tree, is going on a kayaking and hiking journey from Okefenokee Swamp to Cumberland Island in Georgia. I'm jealous.

I visited Okefenokee NWR in March 2011, on my way home from the Winter Star Party in the Florida Keys. Marie's trip prompted me to find and process the images from that trip. I have a good system for ingesting images and filing them so that even though I don't always process them in a timely manner, I at least know where they are. Except I couldn't initially find my Okefenokee pics. Obviously I did, along with a whole bunch of images that have not been added to my archives. Uh oh.

I visited Cumberland Island on that same trip, on the way to the Winter Star Party. And I properly filed and processed those images. And blogged about it back in 2011.

Here are links to the posts:

Wild Horses
Ruins
Spanish Moss
Live Oaks
Armadillo 
Wing
Feeding Gull

Enjoy!

No comments: