Monday, August 12, 2019

Bench Garden Pond

I was out in the feeder garden counting the frogs in the little pond, when Patty called from the living room, "what are you looking at?" "Ten frogs", I answered. "We should put a pond in the bench garden", she said.

Where "we" = "me".*

So off to Tractor Supply to get a tub, 40 gallons. The imprint shows where to dig.


A while back we had visited Pat and Clay Sutton's wildlife garden. Pat has been working on her garden for thirty some years. And she has several small ponds in the garden. A great idea that we decided to incorporate in our gardens.


But when I started digging I encountered this root. Not good. So I recalibrated where I need to dig. I was lucky that there were no other roots to contend with.


Several wheelbarrows of dirt later (along with firing up the compressor as the wheel barrow wheel was flat!) I had a tub sized hole. I had some stones left over from the second deer gate project that I spread on the bottom of the tub.


Fill'er up!


And now we have a pond in the bench garden. The board is there so that should a critter fall in they have a path out.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

* To be fair, Patty has been out everyday since we returned for Iceland weeding. And never asked from any help (and the last time I weeded I ruptured a disc in my back ...). So "we" = "us" when it comes to yard work. My main job is digging. She points, I dig. :-)

No comments: