Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Fire!

The New Jersey Pinelands Commission has been running a series of weekly webinars, Thursdays at 10 AM. And one of the benefits of working form home is that I can schedule my day so that I can watch them.

Last Thursday's presentation was entitled, "Pine Barrens Weather and Its Effect on NJ's Microclimate" (that's a link which will take you to a recording of the presentation). And as part of the presentation there was this table (emphasis added):

We live in the 7th most dangerous county, based on previous natural disasters, in the US. Fires and hurricanes being the main culprits. 

So it was with some trepidation while driving back from a quick errand last Sunday that I saw smoke in the direction of our place. Fire in the Pines I thought to myself. I'd seen such before. Surely this was well in the distance.

But as I neared home it became apparent that this fire was close. Very close. 

I knew that when I got the Beagle Club I'd have a nice view to the east, with a low horizon. And I'd be able to tell just how close. 

Less than a quarter mile as it turned out.

As when I got to the Beagle Club I saw this:

Fortunately a controlled burn.

But for a while there ...

No comments: