Monday, February 1, 2021

American Tree Sparrow

So of course, the day after the Pinelands Winter Bird Census, an American Tree Sparrow shows up in the yard. 

Image Courtesy Patty Rehn

Only the second time we've seen this critter in the at Piney Place. And the first time since 2015.

Image Courtesy Patty Rehn

I first spotted it out my home office window. "Patty there is an odd sparrow", I said. Too gray to be a Chipping Sparrow, but I did not get a good look at the bill nor breast.

Image Courtesy Patty Rehn

Then Patty spotted it in from the living room, and got these images. "There is a Chipping Sparrow in the  Feeder Garden", she called out. "Look closely, it might be a the one I saw," said I. Looking I said, "See how gray the head is, Chippies are white above the eye stripe". "It does have a bi-colored bill", she said, "and a breast spot", both Tree Sparrow field marks.

Another winter visitor, this bird breeds in the Arctic. So I suppose the snow made it feel at home. And I'm sure the bird seed we threw on top of said snow helped draw it in as well.

🐦  🐦  🐦  🐦  🐦

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

No comments: