Friday, September 25, 2020

Another Deck Warbler

In the How Many People ... post, I mused about a "Deck Bird List". 

Birders are ardent listers, life list, state lists, county lists (I've been on boat trips where it was very important to know when the "state" line was crossed, so the same bird could be counted four times, once for each state, and once for each county, even though we were miles off shore!), country lists, work lists, commute lists, movie lists, yard lists ... (I admit to keeping the first and last, life and. yard lists*). So the "Deck Bird List" as a joke on that. Anyways, if you have to explain it ...

Here's another warbler to add to that list, a Black and White Warbler.

Just outside the door, as you might surmise from the door mat in the lower right.

I was alerted to its presence by a thud on the window screen. Birds often lightly hit our screens as they pick off insects. But this bird seems to have miscalculated the distance as it hit the screen rather hard. And is here sitting on the deck stunned.

Spoiler alert, it was able to fly off, and did so when I went out to check on it.

We take steps to prevent window strikes, placing the bird feeders at a safe distance and hanging cords in front of the windows, but it is very unusual for bird to fly into a screen hard enough to be stunned. In fact, this is the only instance I can recall.

Weird. I wonder what it was thinking?

~~~~~~~~~~~

* And then there is this ... my coin bird list.

No comments: