Saturday, February 29, 2020

Cats

The other night I spotted a Timberdoodle in the front yard. Very cool, as we usually hear them and see them only as the evening light is fading.

What wasn't cool was the reason I was out and about in the yard.

Max, one of our cats, had escaped outside.


I followed Max out, to ensure that the Woodcock in our yard were safe. And I caught Max about twenty feet from the bird. Neither I, nor apparently Max, were aware it was that close. Max was heading away from the bird. And it was only after I picked him up and turned around that I spotted it, frozen in place.

Which helped when I took Max in, got the camera, called to Patty, and headed back out. It was still there, frozen.

The reason Max was out is that I had opened the door to chase another cat out of our yard, and I had not checked on Max's whereabouts before doing so.

This cat:


Clearly a demon, just look at those eyes.


I've spotted it several times now, and it's showed up on trail cam images as well. Not good. Cats belong indoors.

We have three cats, and only Max (on cat couch on the right) has any interest in exploring the outside world.


And Max had gotten out the night before, when we returned from Rancocas. And when I was out after him this time I heard an Eastern Screech Owl calling in the back woods. Here's hoping it will take up residence in our owl box (still hoping).

No comments: