Sunday, February 2, 2020

A Red Tail

Belonging to a hawk shown here, a perhaps obviously named Red-tailed Hawk. A bird that took over from the vultures, as many as thirteen, which had been squabbling over the carcass.


Not a Bald Eagle, but closer on the tree of life than a Fox, and a critter that visited a few days prior to the Fox.


In an email exchange with my friend Johnny B., (no relation to Junie B., as far as I know), I noted that it was sixteen days from when we acquired the deer to when the fox showed up. It was only thirteen days for the hawk. But that is but one day short of two weeks. Now it is winter, but a mild one, so that meat can't be fresh. Can it?


Of course I'm not a biologist. Nor am I on TV. So if there are any biologists, wannabe biologists, or biology geeks, feel free to educate us all in the comments.

While I, and vicariously you, and more importantly the trail cam, will keep watching to see who else may visit.

No comments: