Monday, January 21, 2019

Weekend Wanderings ... Huber Woods

I am again spending time at my parent's place while dad recovers from his injury. A solo wanderer thus was I once more. This time Huber Woods was my destination.


The park was established in 1974 with a gift to Monmouth County of 118 (or was it 103?) acres of farm land overlooking the Navesink River, from the family of Hans and Catherine Huber. The park has since grown to 381 acres with additional donations and acquisitions.


My first visit to the park was in 1986 when I set up my telescope in this field and my mom and I observed Halley's Comet. It was not quite so cloudy on that visit.


This time I parked in a new since then section of the park and wandered the trails up to that field.


Unlike previous wanders this time I did see some non-avian wildlife (I saw some birds too).


On the way up was this Eastern Grey Squirrel, one of two I spotted. And on the way back down a White-tailed Deer, to distant for a photo. Not much but I'll take it.


At the top was the building which was the Huber's home and is now the environmental center noted on the sign. It didn't open until ten so I sauntered on by.

All along the trails there was evidence of the property's former life as a working farm.


Old fence posts slowly being reclaimed be mother nature.


And fences not far behind.


The trail or trails I was following led through the woods and though I had a map I was never quite sure exactly where I was.


No matter, I was in no rush and enjoying the morning. And I wasn't the only one as I encountered several other folks also out for a early AM stroll.


But eventually I found myself on a road. Hmmm ... that's wasn't right. Starting up hill I soon spotted the trail down the slope in the woods. Good thing all the leaves were on the ground.


Unlike the prior wanderings, I encountered no water features. And the one barrier was easily detoured around.

There is something about a walk in the woods that settles one's mind and raises one's spirits.


Thank you.

🚶‍♂️  🚶‍♂️  🚶‍♂️  🚶‍♂️  🚶‍♂️

Local notes: Michael Huber, namesake of the Michael Huber Prairie Warbler Preserve, located five miles from our place, is the son of Hans and Catherine. And Franklin Parker, of Franklin Parker Preserve fame, was Michael's brother in law.

Thanks again.

No comments: