Monday, August 18, 2008



For the past two years I've participated in grasslands breeding birds survey, a project run the New Jersey Audubon Society. This shot of tree swallows was taken on one of the pre-survey workshop field trips at Duke Farms in central NJ, one of the largest grassland sites left in NJ.

For the survey I visited nine sites in Salem County, NJ on two occasions in May and June. Alas, most of my sites were farm fields which had been recently plowed, with very little grass or grassland birds. I joked with the director of the project that I was doing a "dirt land" bird survey. Sadly for the birds, there is very little grassland habitat left in the Garden State. But on the bright side, the birds in the photo have little to worry about, as Duke Farms actively manages the site to support grassland birds (and other wildlife). And these tree swallows are a happily raising families in the bird houses provided.


No comments: