Sunday, August 17, 2008



Each February over the past four years I've traveled to the Winter Star Party in the Florida Keys. And each year on the way down I've stopped at the Everglades National Park. If you are interested in bird photography I know of no better location. This past February I arrived at the visitor's center and asked the ranger on duty if there were any reports of interesting birds or other wildlife. "Nothing out of the ordinary", said he. So I wandered into the gift shop and as I was checking out the woman at the register asked if I had seen the great horned owl nest in the parking lot. "No I haven't", I replied. She told me to g out to the lot, wander down the median strip until I came to a bench, and then look up. I did and this is what I saw. I love the sparkle in the owlet's eye as it looks out over its brand new world.

I guess this just isn't out of the ordinary for the Everglades.

1 comment:

Julie M said...

Fantastic shot and what a great experience to see the nestlings close up. Funny that the park ranger took it to be too normal to mention...