Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Weekend Wanderings ... Hartshorne Woods Revisited

In early 2019 I visited Hartshorne Woods and blogged about it. At the time it provided a nice break from concerns about my parents, whom I was staying with and providing in home care (dad had broken his hip on New Years Eve, mom has dementia).

Well, here it is early 2021 and I visited again. And again it provided a nice break from stress inducing events.

Patty, our friend Marie, and I went there for a hike. Nine plus miles on the 'challenging' trails around the perimeter of the park.

I am so out of hiking shape!

The hike was an outing of the Appalachian Mountain Club, and as such did not offer much time to dilly dally and take pictures. And the sun was in the wrong place for most shots anyway.

But there were some things that caught my eye.

Like this tree. 


Notice how it bends and then grows straight up over the path.


And look at the size of the roots crossing the trail. I wonder what caused it to grow this way?


And then when I sat down for lunch and looked up I timed it just right to see this cloud light up in a colorful coronal display (bigafy for a better view).

I was a nice, if tiring, outing. 

No comments: