Thursday, July 4, 2019

Halos

I've mentioned before how much I prefer not working (Patty on the other hand ...). Anyways, without a job to go to I can take my morning coffee on the deck and watch the world wake up.

And on Tuesday morning I saw this.


A 22° Halo and a Circumscribed Halo.

I had first noticed this.


A diffuse white glowing patch above there trees, that had a bit of a curve to it. It could have just been a cloud in an otherwise clear blue sky. But my interest was piqued.


So I left my comfy chair and sauntered over to a different vantage point. And sure enough, it was a halo. So now I waited for the sun to continue to rise and hoped the conditions remained for halo formation.


Now it is really getting in interesting. A halo within a halo. The 22° Halo is fairly commonplace (it is the most often seen atmospheric display).  But was this other halo?


As noted above, I believe it is a Circumscribed Halo.


It was a rather long lasting display, ending with this inverted Cheshire Cat grin, and as with the cat in Alice's Adventure, it was the last part of the display to be seen.


It was one of the most impressive I've ever seen.

And if I had to have gone to work I would have missed it.

No comments: