Sunday, June 30, 2019

One Down, Two To Go

In my last post about our 'War on Deer' I noted that while the fence was up there was still work to do. Including installing three gates.

Make that two gates, as one has been installed. It took two days, mainly because it was too hot to do it in one.


This is the temporary fence across the 'Wildlife Walk' path. This was coming down.


Shown here is the frame for the gate. I needed to dig a pair of two foot holes which, once the poles were in, I filled with rocks and cement. I got lucky with the left side hole, the first attempt hit a three or four inch diameter root (I didn't bother to dig completely around it). My second attempt went between that root and another large root. The right side hole hit no roots issues.


After letting the concrete set for six plus hours it was hard enough to hang the gate.

Image courtesy Patty Rehn
Let me in!

Image courtesy Patty Rehn
Oh wait, it opens. (Or I could have squeezed between the gate and the trees.)


Finished, the gaps between the gate and trees has been fenced off. No more squeezing.


The deer's view. The fencing is a bit more obvious here.

The gate, a kit ordered from the McGregor Fence Company, is five feet wide and seven feet tall. Curiously, the gate pipes come predrilled while those of the frame are not. Necessitating a trip to Lowes for a 5/16" metal drill bit. Otherwise it was very straightforward to install. I expect the next two to be a bit more involved.

No comments: