Saturday, June 22, 2019

Foxen

On our way to our friend's Pat and Eleni's place in Maryland, we stopped at Bombay Hook NWR for a bit of birding.

There were very few birds. Very disappointing.

But we did see three young red fox.


I was looking at what turned out to be just another Red-winged Blackbird, when Patty spotted the Fox in the road. The only camera I had available was my iPhone (the other camera was in the back, we hadn't any reason to get it out).


This one walked right up to the car, perhaps expecting a handout? But never looked up. And when we didn't feed it it had no further interest in us.


Never looking up at me, it just wandered down the road. We continued on when Patty said, "look, two more!".


These two were far enough away that I was able to get out and get a proper camera. While doing so another car came up behind us. I clued the driver in that the Fox were there, and she proceed to pass and park directly in front of us, blocking our view. Grrrrr.

So I walked around.


These two were also habituated to cars, although they did not approach as close as the first.


And they both looked at us.


The highlight of an otherwise somewhat lackluster visit.

No comments: