Sunday, June 9, 2019

Yard Critter of the Week - Black-billed Cuckoo

Black-billed Cuckoo

I was sitting on the deck, relaxing after working in the yard, when I saw a bird fly into a tree. A not unusual occurrence. But this time an unusual bird, at least for the yard.

This bird.


We've seen and heard Yellow-billed Cuckoos every year since we've moved here. But this is the first of the Back-billed variety I've seen in our little section of the woods.

I had heard, and recorded, what sounded like a Black-billed Cuckoo call a couple of weeks before. But it wasn't quite right. It had but two repetitions of the call notes, while the canonical call has three. So into the 'unknown' category it went.


This was a very cooperative bird. I called Patty to come see (I called on the phone as she was in the house and out of earshot). And after she got there I went back in to the house to get the camera. And it stayed all the while.


No doubt due to the abundant food supply.

I've since seen it, or another, about the yard a couple more times. And we've heard, but not seen, Yellow-billed Cuckoos as well. Very nice.

🐦  🐛  🐦  🐛  🐦

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

No comments: