Sunday, June 23, 2019

Yard Critter of the Week - Red Jungle Fowl

Red Jungle Fowl

Domestic variety, Rhode Island Red (the state bird of, you guessed it, Rhode Island*).

We have a small farm to the west of us and our neighbor to the east keeps chickens. And one recent Saturday morning, while enjoying my morning coffee on the deck, I heard a rooster cock-a-doddle-doing out in the woods behind our place. I know what you're thinking, photo op! Me too.

So I got the camera and set out toward the wildlife walk. As I did, the bird came running up to me, albeit in the undergrowth.


So I did my best to get a shot, before it scurried off.


I needn't have worried.


The thing wandered into the yard like it owned the place.

He was back Sunday morning, letting us know it was time to get up.


First by the fish pond.


Then in the back garden.

We're not sure which from which neighbor our visitor hailed, we suspect it is the one from the east, as the western rooster was heard crowing while this one was visiting.

Alas, it was just a weekend getaway and we've not seen him since. I hope he enjoyed his visits.

🐓  🐓  🐓  🐓  🐓

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

~~~~~~~~~~
* An evil place.

No comments: