Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Yard Critter - Lacewing Larvae

I was checking on some temporary deer barriers out by the quonset hut when I spotted this:


A bit of lichen on the tree.


Nothing special, right, as we have lichen all over the trees in our yard?

Except this bit was moving.

A quick search of the inter webs for "lichen covered insect" solved the mystery. It is a Lacewing Larvae.

You can watch the video of it doing so by clicking this link: Lacewing Larvae Video.

Note at the very start a 'pellet' shoots out of the top of the bit of lichen, the arrow in the image below shows where to look.


Here is a close up, you can see two legs sticking out at the top.


And here I'm holding it. You can see legs, and the pinchers pointing to the upper left.


As always, click on any image to bigafy it.


And this gives an idea of the size. Note the leg at the bottom right of the lichen on my thumbnail.

A cool find and the first time I've noticed it in the yard. But not the first time I've seen such a creature.


🐞  🐞  🐞  🐞  🐞

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.

No comments: