Friday, July 5, 2019

Yard Critter - Emerald Jumping Spider

Emerald Jumping Spider


Patty spotted this critter on the New York Ironweed in our back garden. And she called me and told me to bring the camera.


It has a very  distinctive pattern and should have been easy to identify. But not for me. There is no good affordable spider field guide and I was not able to find this one on BugGuide.


So I uploaded some images to the aforementioned BugGuide. And a gentleman by the name of Chad Heins, who maintains the Spiders of Minnesota website and is an Associate Professor of Biology at Bethany Lutheran College in Mankato, Minnesota, identified it for me.


This particular individual does not appear particularly green, but there are pictures on BugGuide and SpiderID of emerald green ones.


But while it isn't green, it does jump.


Resulting in my Bad Spider Picture of the Week.

🕷  ðŸ•¸  ðŸ•·  ðŸ•¸  ðŸ•·

You can find all of the Yard Critter posts listed here.


After two years of Yard Critter of the Week Posts, I've decide to just have Yard Critter posts whenever I have an interesting critter to share. I've got a back log and posting weekly is too infrequent.

No comments: